One of the most requested product lines is finally here! doTERRA has married the best of science with nature to bring you safe, natural and effective mineral sunscreen plus an after sun spray. that is nourishing and soothing. Why am I so excited? It goes to one of the first questions I had as a new mom: Why is it not safe to put suncreen on a baby younger than 6 months old, but ok at 6 months? Does something magical happen to them that it suddenly isn't dangerous anymore? And if it isn't safe for newborns, why are we using it at all?
Let's start with the facts about skin cancer, the most common cancer in the United States, Canada and worldwide.
- 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer by the age of 70.
- More than 2 people die of skin cancer in the U.S. every hour.
- Having 5 or more sunburns doubles your risk for melanoma.
There has been a lot of news recently raising alarms about sunscreens. Last summer, several spray sunscreens were recalled after benzene, a known carcinogen, was detected in them. Other research has shown that some sunscreen ingredients can seep through skin into your bloodstream, and the Food and Drug Administration has asked manufacturers for more data on their safety. And Hawaii has banned certain ingredients because of concerns that they may harm ocean reefs.
So is sunscreen is still worth it?
Absolutely. Regular sunscreen use, on the other hand, clearly prevents skin cancers and saves lives. Some research suggests that it can lower the risk of melanoma, the most serious type of skin cancer, by about 50 percent.
And there are smart choices you can make to ensure that the sunscreens you choose for yourself and your family are safe and effective, and maybe better for the environment.
Even though a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 30 or more is recommended, SPF doesn't tell you anything about how well the sunscreen protects against UVA rays. UVA rays penetrate the skin more deeply than UVB. These are the rays that tan and age skin, and along with UVB, contribute to skin cancer. Unlike UVB rays, which are strongest from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., UVA rays are present as long as there is daylight. That's why you need to look for a broad-spectrum sunscreen, which protects against both UVA and UVB.
Avoiding sunburns and chemical exposures take a little planning so here are some tips:
Suggestions to Stay Safe in the Sun
Seek Shade or Stay Indoors from 10 am to 4 pm
Wear Protective Clothing (this is what I did for my kids too, look for UPF ratings 50 or more)
Wear Sunglasses with 100% UV Protection
Wear a Wide-Brimmed Hat
Use Nontoxic, Reef-safe Sunscreen That Is SPF 30 or Higher. Reapply often
Reasons to Avoid Chemical Sunscreen
• Some chemical sunscreen filters can degrade when exposed to UV rays, generating free radicals that can damage cells. There are effects on sea life, coral reefs, algae and oceans.
• Certain active ingredients can cause skin allergies or reactions, even disrupt our hormones.
• A toxin is any substance that places undue stress on the body
• When it’s functioning properly, your body is efficient at minimizing your toxic load, but it becomes less efficient at managing toxins as the load increases.
Benefits of Mineral Sunscreen Filters
• Mineral sunscreen filters serve as a physical barrier, reflecting UV rays for broad-spectrum protection.
• They don’t degrade when exposed to UV rays.
• They’re effective immediately.
• They’re safe for all skin -types
doTERRA's latest line of sunscreens come as Lotion, Spray and Solid Stick. Demand has been so hight that the stick has already sold out. It will take a few months for supplies to be replenished and we expect that if the others sell out they will be back in stock sometime in the last quarter of the year. That means we need to stock up now, and continue to use it all year long, even on cloudy days.
To avoid breathing in spray formulas, spray sunscreen onto the palm of your hand and then rub it in. Next best is to hold the nozzle just an inch from your skin, spray until you can see a film on your skin, and then rub it in.
The After Sun Spray will be available August 1st, and I predict will become a new post-bath/shower ritual we are going to love! Amazing ingredients like Frankincense, Aloe vera and Hyaluronic Acid will be my new best friends! Are you ready for safer skin products?